Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Culture and Fame


Today I had some very interesting experiences while at work in Parliament. I will start with the cultural differences I encountered while speaking to my researcher Peter and our PA, Philippa. Philippa always asks me if I would care for some coffee or tea and I never care for any because I generally don't drink a lot. So, she says to me "you never really like to drink anything!" So I replied "I just don't need drinks every hour on the hour." In response, she says "so what do you drink at lunch if you don't drink coffee or tea" and I replied "Soda." She got this confused look on her face and said "what's soda?" After about 5 minutes of my jaw laying on the floor I explained to her what it was. Turns out they just call it simply "Coke or Sprite" or "Fizzy Drinks." This made me laugh and really realize how different it can be in another country.

While in conversation today, I noted a few words that people in Great Britain pronounce differently. The first is patent. They say it like pay-tent. Another word is Caribbean. They say carra-bee-in. Where would pronounce it more like carri-be-an. People here say rubbish... Not trash, These are a few of the interesting cultural and linguistic differences I have noticed since I have been here.

On the subject of famous people, I had an interesting experience today. Every Wednesday at 12 noon, the Prime Minister goes to the House of Commons chamber for Prime Minister Question Time (PMQ's). Since I arrived in Britain, it has been my dream to see Tony Blair up close. So, in a desperate attempt to see him, I attempted to get tickets for PMQ's. Too my great disappointment, there was a queue out of the door. I decided to return to my parliamentary office to watch PMQ's on the television. On my way up the escalator into Port Cullis House (the main building for MP's and staff), a security guard yelled for me to come back down. So... I run backwards down the escalator. When I got to the bottom, he thanked me and told me to hang on for a moment. As I am standing there, Tony Blair and his Cabinet come riding down the opposite escalator. I practically crapped my pants. When they reached the bottom, the Prime Minister looked over and raised his eyes in a kind of "hello" kind of gesture. When he was gone, I was given the OK to proceed up the escalator. I will never forget that experience. I was so excited and I am so happy that I am working inside of the British Parliament.

I feel like I am getting sick. I hope this does not materialize into a major sickness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home